"I wish for all of the people to stop"Nanashi Mumei

The Anime Thread

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
FINALLY. An excuse to shill New Game! One of my favorite animes. A comfy SOL about making games.

Its pretty cute and very comfy I highly suggest checking it out when you have the chance……still waiting on them to make a third season now that the manga has ended…..
In a similar vein but more edu-tainment and love letter to the industry, consider checking out Shirobako if you want to watch an anime about making anime tv series. Several of the characters are references to real people in the industry and each of the two seasons refers to real events and controversies that happened in the anime industry

Season one is about Girls und Panzer's messy production production which the director knows first hand since he directed it and Shrobako. Season two refers to the Shirokuma Cafe drama where the anime was greenlight without the mangaka's knowledge and caused the manga to go on hiatus

1 - Copy.png2 - Copy.png3 - Copy.png
4 - Copy.png5 - Copy.jpg
salaries - Copy.jpg

DanchousLoyalHamu

Gyudon is tasty
I’ve been watching Keroro Gunso as of late, fun anime so far.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
I’ve been watching Keroro Gunso as of late, fun anime so far.

That song is a timeless classic, too. Almost 20 years old and we still have chuubas singing in it big 3D events.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Tonight's Pippa stream reminded me of a show I saw a while back and thought was feel good, and it only has one season so once it's done it's done. It's about a group of friends trying to convince a chunibyo girl that not everything in life is like in the MMO they play and hijinks ensue.

It's called "And You Thought There Is Never A Girl Online". There's more to the story but that would be getting into spoilers, I did watch it a long time ago so maybe I'm mixing a few different shows up in my head.

1672977938992.png

Azehara

!!Foot Dox Confirmed!!
Early Adopter
First time here because I barely ever leave the fucking VTuber thread.

I've been falling behind a bit on anime this season, mainly because of general burnout combined with vtubers taking up all the time I would use to watch anime. That being said, here's an obscure show that I'd highly recommend from this year:
Genre: CGDCT, musical (as in, original songs every episode)
Dub: No
Synopsis/review: This show is one that kind of caught me off guard this spring. I saw the synopsis, and thought "oh, this is interesting" and left it on my to-watch list. Little did I know it would end up having me crying more than once.

The story is about three girls training to be "healers", sort-of magical girls who conduct healing procedures using the power of music, under the direction of a master of the craft. It follows a general CGDCT formula. One girl, Kana Fujii, is the usual neer-do-well baka protagonist who wants to be a healer because of one who helped her when she was younger. Reimi Itsushiro is a spoiled rich girl who's a bit stuck-up, a perfectionist, and also has a girl-crush on the teacher. And Hibiki Morishima is a country bumpkin who turned out to have amazing singing skills, which is why she came to the big city to learn how to be a healer.

In spite of its characters who are somewhat the "usual types", I think it ends up being a lot more than that. Every episode, outside of a few special ones, involves them having to try and heal a different person with different symptoms, sort of like a medical drama. We get to see the backstory behind these people, the connections they form with the protagonists, and we get to hear the songs for healing them as well. It taps into a niche I feel like no other show has done before.

The songs, by the way, are amazing - usually you'd expect the kind of generic idol songs that these shows tend to have, but they actually follow a much more traditional style, sounding closer to modern choral pieces at times and at others being reminiscent of classical-era pieces. Something clever the director decided was to hire people who have singing experience first (instead of hiring people with mainly voice acting experience) to do the voice acting, meaning the singing itself is done by professionals, and it shows. The harmonies are amazing, the instrumentation is phenomenal, I just can't rave about it enough.

Similar shows: Well, the studio and director behind it (3Hz/Yasuhiro Irie) were behind Flip Flappers, so that should give you a general idea of what it's like. Some other shows I'd compare it to are Love Live, Idolm@ster, Symphogear, and Revue Starlight, although it's a bit more emotional and personal than Love Live or Idolm@ster and much more down-to-earth compared to Symphogear or Revue Starlight. Basically, if you enjoy shows with an element of "musical" to them, you'll probably enjoy this one a lot.

Overall, me being a music nerd and a sucker for emotional stories, it appealed to me a lot and left me feeling really fulfilled. If you think it'd appeal to you as well, definitely go check it out. Solid 9/10.
I started watching this and got 2 episodes in but due to burnout (plus work, plus vtubers, plus clipping, plus WoW) I sorta dropped it. It was really cute though. Bit of a shame I didn't finish it.

I'm looking forwards to watching Made in Abyss S2.

Well, I'm not. I'm not looking forwards to it at all. But I will still watch it.

I really can't explain why I like Made in Abyss. It's a fucking creepy story written by somebody who is very obviously messed up in the head, but it somehow... works. I can't describe why it feels so bizarrely 'real' to me. Even the horrific, nightmarish, pseudo-fetish parts of it have this weird way of making me feel like something profound happened.

My very first serious, non-dubbed anime ever was Madoka Magica. Prior to that I hated anime and bought into all the stupid memes about it from people who'd also never watched any of it. I would never have touched it if a critic I didn't immensely respect at the time covered it and gave it a glowing review. It was a remarkably visceral experience that I'll never forget, and Made in Abyss feels a lot like it. It could so easily be cheap pedobait. It could so easily be meaningless loli guro with pretty backdrops. But it somehow isn't. I don't know why. I don't think I ever will.

I just want to know what the fuck is at the bottom of the Abyss it's pippa
Season 1 was great and the movie was also really good. I haven't watched the last episode of Season 2 but I'm not a fan of where they took this.

I barely followed animu stuff as of recently, but I managed to follow one of the current year's lineup, Lycoris Recoil

Lycoris Recoil
13 episode original series
Genre: CGDCT except it has combat and more or less a bit of a spy fiction-ish? "Cute Combat Girls Doing Cute Things" aka CCGDCT? Iunno
Dub: There is English dub but Subs all the way (but I heard the dub is okay-ish)
Review:
Lycoris Recoil is kind of like... I don't know. If you know or have watched Gunslinger Girls then it has that similar vibe. It's an original work about Japan who after some terrorism stuff that wrecked one of their tower in the past (The Skytree Tower), has decided to set up this network of what is essentially highschool-aged secret police to keep Japan peaceful and remove any "threat" that would ruin such peace. Of course the whole thing isn't really about them and instead focused on two of these hitwomans, a notable trainee by the name of Takina Inoue whose serious, cold and has this whole "finish the job first, life second" mindset who after botching her task with the agency that employed her, finds herself being assigned (exiled, in a lack of better terms) with Chisato Nishikigi, who is basically the ace of the entire agency but is also a perky, cheerful pile of fun who, despite being tasked to eliminate threats lethally, decided to basically to go play Pacifist route and pissed everyone in that agency or tolerate her enough to not let her go because her skills is that invaluable. There are plenty of interesting cast, ranging from your atypical jerk rival to your stock small-sized super-hacker, up until characters like Chisato's handler who is like, a not-stereotypically played black foreign man and the antagonist being a terrorist that is like, demanding "THE BALANCE" while casually totting PKM machine gun while wearing gaudy hawaii shirt + leather coat and have a joker green hairdo.

The series plot itself basically 75% Chisato trying to get Takina to lighten-up and it's what makes the series quite interesting to many people (and so the shippers), because their relationship being a complete split-opposite that of course, as the series progressed, has basically becoming so close that they could be inseparable. The other 25% is reserved on actual hard plot about a terrorist trying to concoct a plan that was already set on the first episode, along with other heavy plot related to Chisato's past and the matter on how the whole "Japan Secret Police clearing Threats" worked behind the scene.

It's quite interesting as a theme, being essentially trying to combine Slice of Life with Spy-Fiction (or gunplay focused action animu), but I kind of wished that it stayed fully as SOL and keep the combat and heavy plot aspect at the minimum. While it is still enjoyable to its own, I kinda felt it would work better if they just like, putting a plot about these two balancing the life of being friendly to each other/one learning from the other while also dealing with all sort of threat to the country instead of focusing on a single plot villain.

Without going into too much spoilers, though, the plot at the end is just a bit... average-ish. I can understand the plot terrorist motivation against the system but at the same time, the one involving Chisato's past is just a bit... reaching. I understand that they want to explain the whole reason why she went pacifist to begin with, but the whole entire plot of what is essentially them tried to make her use live round and not being pacifist is just, whack. Interesting, but whack. I do have this assumption that the whole Chisato's past bit is just something on the side while the terrorist whole plot is the main attraction, but it meshes together as if both was planned at the same time. Still though, the plot in the end does lead to a rather open closure, which would make for an easy 2nd season if there's a need for it.

All in all, it's enjoyable. But for those who wishes for it to have more slice of life element like me, it's probably best to just enjoy the fans drawing the two doing cute things instead. Nevertheless, it has really great combat scene involving gun-play, especially with Chisato's "ace ability" (aka dodging bullets in real time) makes her nickname as "Animu John Wick" well deserved (especially because her being pacifist/using non-lethal rounds and thus she had to compensate with inaccurate non-lethal bullets and all). It's also a original series so you can easily jump into it without any prior knowledge, and Chisato's act is just so damn fun to watch, especially when having Takina acting as the straight-man before she too ended up start loosing herself and becoming just as open to Chisato... to some degree of success.

I give it an 8/10 as a whole, but for me personally it's 7,5/10 because of my desire of the series having more SOL element, along with some few nitpicks on my part regarding the world background and lore of it. It might be cheery and cutesy, but it's still an action series, so you might have to keep that in mind if you want to recommend it to other weebs (assuming they hadn't watch it, considering the popularity recently). The Yuri-bait is quite clear though, even if there's nothing that is pretty unsubtle. I still see the main duo as close friends, but who knows if the series decided to make the two an item or whatever.

Similar Shows: The closest thing would be Gunslinger Girls, but you can put any anime about contrasting personality-based duos and it could work. Probably.
Really liked Lycoris. Possibly the best show of that season.

Time for a somewhat effort posting.

Grimgar of fantasy and ash.

Is a Dub Available? Yes

Imagine if you suddenly appeared in a fantasy world without any memories and are just told you are adventurers, out of the blue.
Welcome to Grimgar, a high fantasy world where they summon people form other worlds and just let them sink and swim while dealing with goblins and other such creatures, and the hoodlums that was summoned from you generation gets promoted way before you feel comfortable killing other creatures.

As an Iseaki fag I often keep up with the isekais of every season, but this one is one of the few I got invested in to buy the light novels off, just because of the premise.
The characters get traumas by killing goblins, and the transformation can be seen, from killing up close and still being disturbed by it, companions killed, and other similar things.
----------
Comparable shows? Maybe goblin slayer but the deaths doesnt punch as hard and it feels more like a hardened adventure party.

The more comparable is maybe, funnily enough, I was reincarnated as a slime, with the side characters getting summoned and forced to try to slay or obey demon lords.
------------------------

Hope you find this show as entertaining as me.
I loved the series but it was a bit slow. I did enjoy the fact that the characters felt really human. It's something most Isekai fail to do. They often fail to capture that feeling of a normie suddenly being transported into some shit world where they have to kill shit to survive. Something great about it was that it introduced me to Know_Name. Amazing soundtrack.

Also any gundamfags here? I'm a UC fanboy but am curious about this new Witch of the Mercury Gundam thingie (mostly because everyone and their mother has been drawing the protag woman with the white haired woman in yuri situation). How good is the show?
I have watched most of Gundam. Missing a few of the non-UC series (TurnA and AGE). I also rewatched the entirety of UC + Wing about 3 years ago to refresh my memory (holy shit Wing is terrible). Not really a fan of Witch of Mercury.
Episode 0 "holy shit this will be amazing".
Episode 1 and onwards "what the fuck am I even watching. I still need to finish the last 2 or 3 episodes.

There will never be another Isekai as good as Log Horizon.
I never watched it. College classes were killing me.

Tonight's Pippa stream reminded me of a show I saw a while back and thought was feel good, and it only has one season so once it's done it's done. It's about a group of friends trying to convince a chunibyo girl that not everything in life is like in the MMO they play and hijinks ensue.

It's called "And You Thought There Is Never A Girl Online". There's more to the story but that would be getting into spoilers, I did watch it a long time ago so maybe I'm mixing a few different shows up in my head.

View attachment 9871
I remember watching the first episode and I dropped it. Had way too many other series to watch that season.

Seen a bunch of people talking about Bocchi and Akiba Maids and I have them downloaded but I havent started watching either. Last series I finished was Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru (Danmachi). Honestly talking its a pretty average series but I really do enjoy the world.

That Guy Over There

It's time to Moom
Seen a bunch of people talking about Bocchi and Akiba Maids and I have them downloaded but I havent started watching either. Last series I finished was Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru (Danmachi). Honestly talking its a pretty average series but I really do enjoy the world.
I will second that recommendation for Akiba Maid War, I consider it the sleeper hit of the season, maybe even the year.
Danmachi is pretty basic and full of tropes, but the execution of it is what makes it good.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
So I rate Megazone 23 9 extremely gratuitous sex scenes out of 10.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
I remember watching the first episode and I dropped it. Had way too many other series to watch that season.
It's very much a second monitor show, because despite a few good moments it's a bit too corny.

Moff Albert

The Brown Hornet is my oshi
Calli's Husband
I will continue my tradition as an anime boomer over here. I'm about halfway through the Bubblegum Crisis OVA, and I have to say that it's one of the best anime I've ever watched. I love the characters (especially Priss), the music, and the overall aesthetic and world that the story takes in. There's explosions, vehicle action, mech suits, titties, and heart wrenching emotional moments. It's basically everything I could ask for. I think that both it and Cyber City Oedo have only deepened my love for the cyberpunk genre as a whole, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
I will continue my tradition as an anime boomer over here. I'm about halfway through the Bubblegum Crisis OVA, and I have to say that it's one of the best anime I've ever watched. I love the characters (especially Priss), the music, and the overall aesthetic and world that the story takes in. There's explosions, vehicle action, mech suits, titties, and heart wrenching emotional moments. It's basically everything I could ask for. I think that both it and Cyber City Oedo have only deepened my love for the cyberpunk genre as a whole, and I can't wait to see how it ends.
thumbnail_16730347535994501659053460154373.jpg

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
Re-watching Full Metal Panic! and it's still pretty dang good (currently on episode s01x11). It moves at a pretty good clip without wasting my time with filler. Fumoffu maybe the superior comedy entry, but I'm enjoying season 1 just fine.

Next on my list is 74 episodes of Eureka Seven + movie, just without any of the other seasons. God damn did the butcher this anime after those.

Last edited:

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Re-watching Full Metal Panic! and it's still pretty dang good (currently on episode s01x11). It moves at a pretty good clip without wasting my time with filler. Fumoffu maybe the superior comedy entry, but I'm enjoying season 1 just fine.
One day the anime will be finished.
:magnicope:

Azehara

!!Foot Dox Confirmed!!
Early Adopter

Next on my list is 74 episodes of Eureka Seven + movie, just without any of the other seasons. God damn did the butcher this anime after those.
Season 1 and Season 2 were amazing. Fumoffu is one of the funniest things I had seen at the time (not sure if it still holds up after about 15 years) but Season 3 was a huge letdown for me. Not sure if it was the way it was directed or maybe I just didnt give a shit about the IP after so long (which is something that has happened with other IPs after a long hiatus).

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
So after watching Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury and being quite pleasantly surprised by it I finally agreed to a suicide pact with my own brain and decided to look up reviews of it on Youtube.

HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

You ever watched something so retarded that you immediately wanted to do it yourself just to prove it can be done better? Yeah, I might actually do that, simply because the sheer amount of concentrated soy I was just exposed to is a stronger motivation than a hot poker to a horse's ass.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Soy types jizz themselves whenever teenage lesbians are depicted/suggested.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Soy types jizz themselves whenever teenage lesbians are depicted/suggested.

When one of the top viewed reviews includes the line 'As a thirty-something pansexual male' you just know that all hope is lost.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
When one of the top viewed reviews includes the line 'As a thirty-something pansexual male' you just know that all hope is lost.
What would ever inspire someone to put that in a video? I really hate that people can't just give their opinion on things without running down their entire sexual history and what kind of vegetable they identify as.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Wait until you watch the movie and see how she gets her white whistle. Smile and optimisim gone.
Finally caught up with the movie and Season 2, I'm not sure what to really make of it. On one hand, I feel like it's a bunch of wheel spinning, on the other it's a very good bit of world and character building. Though they could have done with less animal butts in Season 2 and probably cleaned up some of the topics to be less meaningless.

Nenélove

They expect one of us in the wreckage brother!
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Finally caught up with the movie and Season 2, I'm not sure what to really make of it. On one hand, I feel like it's a bunch of wheel spinning, on the other it's a very good bit of world and character building. Though they could have done with less animal butts in Season 2 and probably cleaned up some of the topics to be less meaningless.
I watched all of it and i still have no idea what to make of it honestly, the first season kinda felt like it was trying to go somewhere but season 2 just seems... aimless? I thought we were gonna hit some insane plot point or something but it's just more of the same sad, disgusting, abhorrent, and primarily just fucking weird, stuff as before. This animu condenses japanese weirdness to it's very essence.

I do think it would make for an awesome experience if you watched it while high off your fucking mind.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
I watched all of it and i still have no idea what to make of it honestly, the first season kinda felt like it was trying to go somewhere but season 2 just seems... aimless? I thought we were gonna hit some insane plot point or something but it's just more of the same sad, disgusting, abhorrent, and primarily just fucking weird, stuff as before. This animu condenses japanese weirdness to it's very essence.

I do think it would make for an awesome experience if you watched it while high off your fucking mind.
I kind of agree, but I'm not sure if it was aimless. I do think that we didn't get anywhere in the second season, as it started and ended in the same exact place, but I think the story they told and the characters they created were good enough to give it a pass in that even if it didn't go anywhere, it was a good story in itself and contributed to the world building. I will agree that the violence and grotesque aspects were the weakest parts, and probably needed to be toned down as you become numb to them after awhile with the worst being how rapidly cave girl just explodes for no reason.

I think that's why I don't really get it, it feels like it's a different show that they wedged into the series, but it's also good enough that I don't mind that. Though the weak aspects of the series really show through in the second season and I hope they pull back on them if there's a season 3 as there's definitely creativity in the show as a whole.

Edit: I think that in a lot of ways the season can be viewed as filler, but I also don't think filler is bad if it's interesting in itself and tells its own story. Maybe it's one of those things that best kept to an expanded universe, though that's usually a failure, and my enjoyment of the Second Season comes not from the show itself but from what the season was in itself, which is why I'm conflicted on it.

Top Bottom