"And what is Mystique's power? Oh she's a shape-shifter? That's not a good name then, her name should be... 'Shapely' huhhuhhuhuhhaHAHAAGHsnort"Amiya Aranha

Vidya Games Thread

UberSoldat

No-one's saying that the games aren't enjoyable, obviously they are, but that doesn't mean they don't come with obvious flaws and sticking points in the design that could be improved and learned from - and often, annoyingly with a decade and a half of hindsight, just aren't. Going all the way back to DS1 where Fromsoft decided to design Lost Izalith using the copy-paste tool or the camera tech that's by this point falling apart trying to keep up with the speed, agility, and scale their boss design has evolved into.
Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time, and even I can admit it has a few flaws.

UberSoldat

Still teasing THQ's two unannounced games. Should be easier to guess the games compared to last time. If they're new IPs, this is basically impossible to decipher.

In other news, shortly after Pieces Interactive dying (new Alone in the Dark), Piranha Bytes is kill

Last edited:

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
I'm liking this because it's so rare for me to find people saying nice things about DS2
A lot of people absorbed the "DS2 bad" meme and just regurgitate it. It was a more experimental game than the others, and not all of the experiments panned out, but there are some thing it did incredibly well, the multiplayer aspects (esp. the covenants and the small soapstone) being one of them. The hub-and-spoke design for the first ~2/3 of the game also makes a wide variety of gear possible to access early on so you can use the stuff you want for your build for a greater percentage of the game than say, DS3, which is extremely linear. The powerstancing system is still the best implementation of the concept. And there's a ton of weapon variety and cool/good-feeling weapons.

httn

Hag enthusiast
Still teasing THQ's two unannounced games. Should be easier to guess the games compared to last time. If they're new IPs, this is basically impossible to decipher.

I WANT TO BELIEVE!
Code:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
l e g a c y o f k a i n : s o u l r e a v e r

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife

In other news, shortly after Pieces Interactive dying (new Alone in the Dark), Piranha Bytes is kill

Extremely unfortunate to see Piranha Bytes finally tank. They were serious indie jank devs, so I'm not surprised, but they were my kind of jank y'know? Risen was one of my favourite RPGs on Xbox.

blackblur187

ultimate edgelord

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
"Could hollywood make a good movie?"
No.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Sony is apparently bankrolling PalWorld - presumably in an effort to take on Pokemon.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Sony is apparently bankrolling PalWorld - presumably in an effort to take on Pokemon.

Well that's really weird considering the game was on GamePass. I guess both of them are just really desperate to push Palworld to hurt Pokemon/Nintendo. It would be really funny if Microsoft doesn't even make a console for next gen and just puts GamePass on Sony's Playstation 6 but makes shit like CoD exclusive to GamePass.

nuk-temleH

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
A lot of people absorbed the "DS2 bad" meme and just regurgitate it. It was a more experimental game than the others, and not all of the experiments panned out, but there are some thing it did incredibly well, the multiplayer aspects (esp. the covenants and the small soapstone) being one of them. The hub-and-spoke design for the first ~2/3 of the game also makes a wide variety of gear possible to access early on so you can use the stuff you want for your build for a greater percentage of the game than say, DS3, which is extremely linear. The powerstancing system is still the best implementation of the concept. And there's a ton of weapon variety and cool/good-feeling weapons.
DS3 is the most linear Fromsoft game (even more than Bloodborne IMO) and it suffers greatly for it. There's what, 3 branching paths at most? Fight Dancer early and get stopped at the library, branch off in the castle to fight Ocerios and go to Archdragon Peak/etc... and that's really it. Put off Anor Londo to go fight Yhorm early, I guess? It gets really stale on replay because of it too.

EDIT: oh and how could I have forgotten fighting the Crystal Sage to go fight the Deacons of the Deep, truly gameplay altering stuff

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time, and even I can admit it has a few flaws.
The biggest being that it barely runs on its native hardware lol

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Well that's really weird considering the game was on GamePass. I guess both of them are just really desperate to push Palworld to hurt Pokemon/Nintendo. It would be really funny if Microsoft doesn't even make a console for next gen and just puts GamePass on Sony's Playstation 6 but makes shit like CoD exclusive to GamePass.

It's SME and Aniplex not the Playstation Section. That matters because this is most likely a development deal because SME would really like to have a Pokemon-like product. Digimon is Bandai and Sanrio is god damn every cute thing they can invent. This is actually a really good, in-Japan partnership.

I do find it a little funny that if Palworld had launched around 2021, someone probably offers 3-5 Billion USD to buy it in 2022. Not that the small studio behind Palworld isn't probably already set for life.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Might just be a pre-emptive buy considering Pajeetsoft would just as easily sweep in and buy the whole palworld studio with chumpchange.
Honestly a smart move for once.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

Saturnus

haha it's unou

TF2chads eating good?!

ex-Valve writer turned contractor Eric Wolpaw confirms the validity of what was posted. For those skeptical.

Hopium overdose; Looking at the fact that is the FINAL DRAFT of the script which was finished this year in June, a few weeks before they started the banwaves, and they're working on it between projects and the recent developments of them actually doing something more substantial to quell the bots. Maybe we'll get an Update (not a major content one, but one with actual substance) within a year from now?

:magnicope:

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

Saturnus

haha it's unou

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
M.A.S.S. Builder just hit its 0.11 update moments ago, with about 4 hours left in the steam sale - strange optics, but welcome nonetheless! It's all about the mecha customization and battling, which is a primal need that has been slowly delivered over time, and recently accelerated with Armored Core VI:

which means I once again shill for Megaton Musashi W: Wired which-

what the fuck do you mean it's on 50% off and the 3.1.0 update happened and the Grendizer collab is live, even I didn't know that, I am once again begging LEVEL-5 to advertise their game:

on my end, nothing to show for MSPaint collectible creatures or horrors just yet, the steam sale did a number on my wallet so I'm waiting a few paychecks to get a perpetual license for Clip Studio Paint and Spine Animation. roughly about ~$150 combined, but both should certainly help ease the workload in creating the variants of each creature dependent on the amount of eugenics autism the player invests into them.

essentially, this first project - and whatever project comes next - will create the foundations of the mechanics and work pipeline needed to put together the dream Pokemon-style game later down the line. the first project, as stated earlier, is currently planned to be a horror game taking inspiration from the various playground rumors and creepypastas from the early 2000's - specifically Lavender Town Syndrome, the Pokegods, Glitch City. hopefully, this should give a better idea how I'm expanding on the premise of "two detectives extract survivors of a new-age cult". this will also allow me to build 2-3 of the major locations within the "region" that can later be repurposed and iterated on, as well as the monsters and characters surrounding them, with the long-term intention of offering bonuses in the main game for a completed save file of each project beforehand.

the first project aims to have a run time roughly 10-15 hours for the main story, obviously extended if the player becomes too invested in the mechanics and side-content, tentative price of $14.99. all of which could change through development, but I need to set these primary targets so that I have a finite end before getting to work on the second project, and that I don't fall into the same trap of others before me who attempted making their dream Pokemon-style game without anything beforehand. that, and I can take the feedback from these smaller projects to improve the big project, I don't need foresight to see that!

second project's focused on archeology, underwater exploration, and institute-sanctioned Research & Development (even more eugenics for the collectible creatures). nothing yet beyond that until the first one's winding down.

Xuhle

So probably going to go no where but Ubisoft now got the Japanese government attention.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

So probably going to go no where but Ubisoft now got the Japanese government attention.

After Netflix got smacked for a lot of money by Egypt over the psuedo-doc about Cleopatra, I feel like companies really need to understand you can be racist to Westerners - and hide behind stuff - but not the rest of the world. Shadows is one of the few chunks of general audience games that's unironically racist & happy about it. The offenses aren't from ignorance but of disguised malice. And hiring a native Japanese "historian" who's more of a pre-Modern shota-BL enthusiast kind of just takes the cake.

That said, I have zero clue how Japanese & French or Canadian relationships are right now. If they were bad, this actually could escalate to an "international issue".

Top Bottom