"...I don't have anyone to give head to"Fujikura Uruka

General Thread v2: Enhanced Segregation Techniques!

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
First time watching vtubers?
my nigga in christ look at honkai star rail and tell me they don't look straight out of that shit. The newest gacha releases have been pushing these types of designs, they have the same clothing style and they all follow the same futuristic fantasy adventurer archetype. I get they were going for the anti advent but I think they could've taken a bit more of a risk or they just hired some marketing suit that told them "yo this gacha shit sells" and they went for it, because it sells a lot.:Vesper-UNHINGED:

Eureka

tgmslc

my nigga in christ look at honkai star rail and tell me they don't look straight out of that shit. The newest gacha releases have been pushing these types of designs, they have the same clothing style and they all follow the same futuristic fantasy adventurer archetype. I get they were going for the anti advent but I think they could've taken a bit more of a risk or they just hired some marketing suit that told them "yo this gacha shit sells" and they went for it, because it sells a lot.:Vesper-UNHINGED:
I say it's more that waifu gacha games have to put out so many new 2D waifu's just all the time to get their whales to open their wallets back up. And because of the sheer number, eventually the cast of every weeb gacha game has a hundred examples of every waifu design trope under the sun.

Meaning that, eventually, you could probably point at just about any animu ever and go "look at this Honkai Star Rail lookin' motherfucker."

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
I don't really see anything wrong with their designs. They're cute, they're visually distinctive, they feel like they belong together thematically. Gacha games don't have a monopoly on fantasy anime girls that are overdesigned and wearing unrealistic outfits. Quite a lot of Japanese fantasy and sci-fi video games, anime and manga follow the same design concepts, even before Satan came up with the idea of marrying gambling with anime tiddies. It seems more a criticism you have with vtubing in general (whether that criticism is fair or not) rather than one you specifically have of Hololive Justice.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
It wasn't satan that came up with the idea of mixing anime tiddies with gambling, it was a human one. They gambled on "would people honestly sink their life savings on a freaking png of an anime meant to be played on your phone as you commute to and from your dronelike cubicle cage" and my god, were they ever right, unfortunately.

God's Strongest Dragoon

It wasn't satan that came up with the idea of mixing anime tiddies with gambling, it was a human one. They gambled on "would people honestly sink their life savings on a freaking png of an anime meant to be played on your phone as you commute to and from your dronelike cubicle cage" and my god, were they ever right, unfortunately.
Everyone seems to forget that Hoyoverse generates a retarded amount of money from women as well because of the twink characters. Genshin in particular has an incredibly high rate of female paye...I mean players.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

They look more like Guilty Gear characters, which is where a lot of the Gacha has taken inspiration from. That said, Cover designs are generally a lot less busy.

Faceless Waifu

look at this cute emm I generated
Early Adopter
For what its worth, I can see why you made the comparison, and the gacha market themselves doesn't help because honkai (and by extension, genshin) popularizes them in such ways that they had to follow their examples to some degrees. Older gacha games that already established themselves are more often than not focuses on their own and only followed if the market led them.

Quite a lot of Japanese fantasy and sci-fi video games, anime and manga follow the same design concepts, even before Satan came up with the idea of marrying gambling with anime tiddies. It seems more a criticism you have with vtubing in general (whether that criticism is fair or not) rather than one you specifically have of Hololive Justice.
And I think thats legit criticism as well. More and more of these vtuber designs has been more or less heavily designed to the point of looking "busy", which while looks good and all, kinda ended up becoming samey as the time went on.

This might sound niji-praising (especially at this day of niji-kicking), but Niji's designs of the past that is simple, to the point of pretty much just "here's a student/office worker/woman in a simple dress/nurse" is workable enough that they still get big viewerships. But the market prefers busier designs, and now even niji themselves followed the trend with their JP talents having more busier designs and elaborate lore/points on their designs.

The market just prefers it than simple. Simple as that.

At the very least, Justice's designs are more or less fine, even if it kinda looking like some shitty CCP gacha game designs. But let's be honest, they'll get their new outfits and of course people will start clamoring for something simpler down the line.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
And I think thats legit criticism as well. More and more of these vtuber designs has been more or less heavily designed to the point of looking "busy", which while looks good and all, kinda ended up becoming samey as the time went on.

This might sound niji-praising (especially at this day of niji-kicking), but Niji's designs of the past that is simple, to the point of pretty much just "here's a student/office worker/woman in a simple dress/nurse" is workable enough that they still get big viewerships. But the market prefers busier designs, and now even niji themselves followed the trend with their JP talents having more busier designs and elaborate lore/points on their designs.

The market just prefers it than simple. Simple as that.

At the very least, Justice's designs are more or less fine, even if it kinda looking like some shitty CCP gacha game designs. But let's be honest, they'll get their new outfits and of course people will start clamoring for something simpler down the line.
A lot of other companies started off with more simple designs - look at the first generations of Hololive and compare those designs to Hololive Justice, for example. Or Phase Connect Origins compared to Euphoria and JP Gen 1. It's not a phenomena specific to Nijisanji. When you need to make a new character, and it needs to be visually distinct from previous vtubing characters for copyright and marketing purposes, there's going to be a trend away from simple and towards complex, highly-detailed characters.

Euthyphro

Certified Awatistic

closedblas

You rarely see vtuber bodies anyway, chest-and-up doesn't look too ridiculous. Gigi can probably take off her hood at some point too.
At this point of vtuber saturation, running out of tropes/animals/hair colors is inevitable.
And I'm feeling there's something here relating to the metaverse and holoearth bullshit they've been pushing.

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
VTubers having Discord servers is a fucking terrible idea. You either have this shit happening under your nose, hire moderators who get an ego and upset your regulars, or try to moderate it yourself and spend more time dicking around in there than actually streaming.

At least when fan servers shit the bed, the streamer's a safe distance away from it.
Openly lurking (including streaming!) in fancords is best option. All the community engagement, no liabilities, no headaches.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Damn, guys, I just used my free pull in Honkai Starail and only pulled pulled a bunch of uncommon, generic-looking, chuuni characters :/

Hikinari_Hina_KV.pngEimi_Isami.pngSaya_Sairroxs (1).pngKannagi_Loki_-_Key_Art (1).png

Faceless Waifu

look at this cute emm I generated
Early Adopter
A lot of other companies started off with more simple designs - look at the first generations of Hololive and compare those designs to Hololive Justice, for example. Or Phase Connect Origins compared to Euphoria and JP Gen 1. It's not a phenomena specific to Nijisanji. When you need to make a new character, and it needs to be visually distinct from previous vtubing characters for copyright and marketing purposes, there's going to be a trend away from simple and towards complex, highly-detailed characters.
Oh yeah, that is true, but personally I find older Niji's plainer and simple design to be more or less better (and yes, this is the remaining nijibias in me but still).

Either way, the market definitely is leaning toward busier designs, and it gonna get more busy in the future.

God's Strongest Wardog

A Wild Slapnuts Appears!
They literally look like Tales of/Xeno whatever RPG characters. If you look at them and see only Gachashit, you should disconnect from your phone and gain some taste. :smugina:

niggaphil

Dr. Welshman

I dunno, I'd be happy if more VTuber designs followed Nikke designs, because some of them are fantastic...
Delta
1000000197.png

Snow White
1000000198.png

Marciana
1000000199.png

I also included their names if you want to search for art, etc...

Bronze

:panik:

I think in terms of complexity, MythosHQ had more issues than others because they have too many animated things going on with their models. As long as it's not that complex, I'm fine with it. There's beauty in both simplicity and complexity if done correctly, and you can always toggle/simplify the busy parts. Saya can become just a red haired girl by getting rid of all dragon parts, for example.

I forgot how cool her sword looked though, so she should sometimes bring it back

Nenélove

They expect one of us in the wreckage brother!
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I can't get over how their designs are such generic gacha shit :whatastory: If cover uses these girls to push for their own honkai star rail they'd be set. Niji has been pushing them too, it's sad the industry is starting to adopt these designs.
Phasefriends control your attack dog, before your oshis hear him openly shitting on holos and execute him.

Ed O'neill

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Top Bottom