"My cat looks like Steve Buscemi. She's kinda weird"Chikafuji Lisa

Vidya Games Thread

racist

Ninomae Ina'nis' strongest soldier
A lot of the sidequests are boring from a gameplay perspective, but they really pay off for little story bits. Especially if you've played NIER or Drakengard 1/3, but somehow it still feels like you're not missing out on anything if you didn't play them.
Would you recommend I play the Drakengard games to get fully immersed in the side quest? I heard mixed things about Drakengard 1 and 2 being kind of shit. I can always just fire up the emulators to play them.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
How about Division 2? it's only 9 bucks on steam rn. I played the first and thought it was alright. would it be worth playing 2nd in 2023?

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Would you recommend I play the Drakengard games to get fully immersed in the side quest? I heard mixed things about Drakengard 1 and 2 being kind of shit. I can always just fire up the emulators to play them.
Drakengard 1 is a terrible videogame that will hurt you physically, emotionally, and on an existential level due to how terrible it is. It is designed to grind your will down and make you miserable. You can play it, you can also just watch it on Youtube.

Drakengard 2 is a shit game that is basically a non-canon spinoff-story made by Ubisoft. Easy skip.

Drakengard 3 is pretty OK, but suffered shit performance on PS3, is pretty alright on emulator from what I heard. Worth a playthrough

NIER and the remake are god damn fantastic, the original having crusty gameplay, and the remake being better in all respects except a butchered soundtrack. Would recommend the remake because it has more content, and is generally better.

How about Division 2? it's only 9 bucks on steam rn. I played the first and thought it was alright. would it be worth playing 2nd in 2023?
Pretty fun game, good split between gameplay that feels good and RPG autism, but you NEED the Warlords of New York expansion. It's still slated for at least two years of updates/support and an expansion coming some time in the future, so it's a good time to get into it.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Drakengard 1 is a terrible videogame that will hurt you physically, emotionally, and on an existential level due to how terrible it is. It is designed to grind your will down and make you miserable. You can play it, you can also just watch it on Youtube.
The true end of D1 is important to why the world of Nier is the way that it is. Whether you care about the specifics of that is up to you, and everything I've heard about D1 recommends against actually playing it.

Faceless Waifu

look at this cute emm I generated
Early Adopter
For the steam summer sale, I decided to nag myself the Redux version of Metro 2033 and Last Light and the Labyrinth DLC of Hacknet. I already cleared those games, but for Metro series, I want to see how different the Redux version with the original (that was previously given for free a while back) and for Hacknet, I have never touched the DLC and I'm curious how the story is all about.

Plus, 2033/Last Light redux is like, -90/-85% on the sale anyway, so it's very darn cheap.

God's Strongest Dragoon

For the steam summer sale, I decided to nag myself the Redux version of Metro 2033 and Last Light and the Labyrinth DLC of Hacknet. I already cleared those games, but for Metro series, I want to see how different the Redux version with the original (that was previously given for free a while back) and for Hacknet, I have never touched the DLC and I'm curious how the story is all about.

Plus, 2033/Last Light redux is like, -90/-85% on the sale anyway, so it's very darn cheap.
From the brief research I did when I was looking at Metro Redux, the changes with Redux is basically:

>Range Mode is added to both games
Pretty much "realistic" difficulty where a few bullets can kill you but you can kill people super quickly too. The HUD crosshairs is disabled. The ammo carrying capacity is halved while throwing knife total is doubled. The player can only carry 2 weapons at a time and ammo picks usually contain 1-5 bullets.

>Metro 2033 is remade with the Metro: Last Light game engine
This doesn't mean much for LL but it's more of a change to 2033 as the UI is now the same across both and the mechanics are the same with stuff from LL carrying over to 2033 like stealth takedowns, weapon customization, wiping your mask, armor system is the same as LL, and some other stuff. The Metro 2033 looks a lot better as the studio was a lot smaller and had a much smaller budget when they first made 2033.

>Both games can be played in either two difficulties: Survival or Spartan
Survival is designed around 2033's experience with limited supplies, limited ammo, slower reloads, and tougher enemy AI. Spartan is designed around LL's experience, which gives you more resources and is more action-oriented.

>Combined Metro 2033 levels
A lot of the levels in Metro 2033 have been combined into much longer levels with no loading screens inbetween them.

Just realized I have all 3 games (2033/LL/Exodus) on Steam but only ever played 2033.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
Purchased Alien Dark Descent for 20% off after watching Mandaloregaming review on it.

Seem like a neat small squad scale RTS with XCOM RPG mechanics.

Will report back if I enjoy it or not.
is it bad this is my first experience to Alien IP :shiinastare:

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
Has anyone played FFXVI and care to share their thoughts? I just bought it, and it's my first Final Fantasy game. I am excited to try it, mostly because I haven't played anything new in a while now.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Purchased Alien Dark Descent for 20% off after watching Mandaloregaming review on it.

Seem like a neat small squad scale RTS with XCOM RPG mechanics.

Will report back if I enjoy it or not.
is it bad this is my first experience to Alien IP :shiinastare:

It's not bad to have it as your first Alien IP experience but you should definitely watch at least Alien and then likely Aliens. It will give you a greater context of the Xenomorphs and you'll understand a lot of the references.
For context:
Alien: Isolation is pretty much Alien
Aliens: Dark Descent is pretty much Aliens

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
It's not bad to have it as your first Alien IP experience but you should definitely watch at least Alien and then likely Aliens. It will give you a greater context of the Xenomorphs and you'll understand a lot of the references.
For context:
Alien: Isolation is pretty much Alien
Aliens: Dark Descent is pretty much Aliens
I've put six hours into the game, and it's honestly a decent game. Has of course that AA quirks and limitations, but I think they did a good job with the gameplay idea.

It has Xcom squad customization, Darkest dungeon trauma/blessings, small scale RTS where you command a squad as one unit, and mechanics where going out fighting isn't always the best. It's a game with challenge too, having to debate if you should engage in a fight, hide and hope you're not found by nearby enemies, extract and come back with a healthier squad, or set traps around the map to distract the enemies. Also leaving and coming back to a map keeps everything you done in it persistent, except for smaller aliens corpses remaining. Like those headcrab things.

The maps/missions are not random generated either, which I think is good for a game like this. I do wish however there was more weapons, character customization options for the marines, and maps. However there's a good amount of content in it already for a non full price game so I can't complain too much.

I do hope they support the game in adding more maps, weapons, mechanics, etc. Cause it has a great foundation.

Also, I love how characters can get damaged in it and lose limbs.
1688425138966.png
actually shows it too and later on you can get the limbs amputated for prosthesis. Would recommend for Alien and Xcom fans who like a challenge.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
So Yongyea is the English VA for Kiryu in the spinoff game and 8. Here's a snippet of what it be like.

I honestly don't like it. I don't know if it's cause I think of Yong when I hear it, or just that it sounds like him trying to sound deep and badass. However, it doesn't give legit vibes like the Kiryu JP VA can with such a deep blunt voice. What do you fellow yakuza dorks think?

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
So Yongyea is the English VA for Kiryu in the spinoff game and 8. Here's a snippet of what it be like.

I honestly don't like it. I don't know if it's cause I think of Yong when I hear it, or just that it sounds like him trying to sound deep and badass. However, it doesn't give legit vibes like the Kiryu JP VA can with such a deep blunt voice. What do you fellow yakuza dorks think?

it sounds shit, i think it maybe could've fit a young kiryu ala 0 but gigachad old Kiryu sounds too young

Also, lmao the hidden tweets have some gold

Plus yong yea is fat and i wouldnt have sex with him

God's Strongest Dragoon

It definitely throws me off, as it sounds like someone trying way too hard to have a deep voice. There's no natural sense to the voice and the way he holds onto syllables after he finishes speaking is really fucking awful. Definitely the wrong choice for VA.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
The problem is twofold: we're all used to Kiryu sounding like Takaya Kuroda for god knows how long by now. The second issue is now I'm expecting Kiryu to beat down a bunch of grunts and send them off with "....and I'll see you guys next time yyYYYYoonnnnG out!"
What I'm trying to say is Kiryu doesn't work with a tenor voice.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
Yong is a cool guy. I like Yong. This is not the voice of a hardened old man who has persevered through politics,genocide and turf wars. It sounds like a college dude posing with his naruto cosplay. It's missing gravitas and weight. I think Dad Kratos Christopher Judge or Logan Cunningham's Bastion narrator voice are closer to what I imagine for Kiryu.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
send them off with "....and I'll see you guys next time yyYYYYoonnnnG out!"
I don't mind Yong overall, but I frantically close the video when it gets to the end.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
I don't mind Yong overall, but I frantically close the video when it gets to the end.
Oh my god...I can imagine a Meat Canyon video based off your reaction to avoiding Yongs outro.

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Yakuza should have ended at 6, the story with Ichiban could be an entirely different series like with Judgment/Lost Judgment, you can't change my mind - I'm still going to play the games, however, Japanese and Asian crime/historical dramas are my lifeblood and there is literally no other competition. Sleeping Dogs could have been a serious competitor if SE didn't cancel Sleeping Dogs 2 in favor of a short-lived live service game, Shenmue is one game every 10-15 years (if Shenmue IV isn't dead), and any new games that try to do similar things will have to face judgment by [CURRENT YEAR] standards.

Ghost of Tsushima is an anomaly that may possibly never be repeated by any other series, despite various attempts before/on release to "cancel" those involved for being white or not Japanese enough. The Assassin's Creed game set in Japan is going to be held to the highest of [CURRENT YEAR] standards, just you wait. The future is looking bleak for non-established series, and I find myself supporting more and more indie Asian developers as the years go by.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife

I'm leery of too many celebrity and fan VA's, they're almost never very good since it's not like they're trained. Kson winning a part as a hostess is one thing, but Kiryu? Man better put his life and soul into the part if he doesn't want people pissed at him.

God's Strongest Dragoon

The Assassin's Creed game set in Japan is going to be held to the highest of [CURRENT YEAR] standards, just you wait. The future is looking bleak for non-established series, and I find myself supporting more and more indie Asian developers as the years go by.
They finally showed a gameplay walkthrough of Mirage and it had a fuck ton of hate. The whole "we're returning to the roots" to try to court old fans backfired massively after people saw a bunch of things they were lukewarm on and then it ended with the PC doing some magic move bullshit.

Not to mention the Assassin's Creed that's suppose to be set in Japan is being done by the team that did Odyssey, so no one is expecting that to be good. They were holding onto the Feudal Japan setting in their back pocket like it was a "break glass in case of emergency" situation because they knew everyone wanted it and there has been a severe drought of Western games set in that era. Then Ghost of Tsushima showed up out of nowhere, stole their "get out of jail" card, and then did their formula better than them. Now when they do their Feudal Japan game, it is 100% going to be compared to Ghost and it's going to fuck them hard.
Sleeping Dogs could have been a serious competitor if SE didn't cancel Sleeping Dogs 2 in favor of a short-lived live service game
I'm still angry about this. That game deserved better.

Top Bottom