"'Putang ina'? What does that mean?"Layla Alstroemeria

General Thread v2: Enhanced Segregation Techniques!

Svarog

Saviorfag
Early Adopter
Tomoe Carmine invites to a her birthday donothon (this weekend)

Onolumi playing Pathalogic

Sera Kisera's morning chatting stream

Super Meche will be playing Shining Force 3 in 30 minutes

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
you will laugh with her and you will enjoy it

Lurker Lurkerman

Lurker mode activated.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter

Gaotye (bilibili DD)

La+ de Central Norte

General of the second army commanded by Gozaru

nuk-temleH

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(

Enya Ignis emphatically denies involvement in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and any further inquiries should be made to her attorney

Dokibird finds a way to burn thousands of dollars while "playing" Chained Together

Fauna drools when she's sleeping

BioBreak

You gonna eat that?
Early Adopter
Edit: Raora drew her fellow artist

Haven't really been too plugged in for the new Holo chuuba gen and wasn't aware Raora was this good of an artist.
:RaoraMAMAMIA::RaoraMAMAMIA::RaoraMAMAMIA:

The Rrat

Early Adopter
Haven't really been too plugged in for the new Holo chuuba gen and wasn't aware Raora was this good of an artist.
:RaoraMAMAMIA::RaoraMAMAMIA::RaoraMAMAMIA:
She is amazing, in general. @reinigen has superb taste.

Speaking of which, Raora's new schedule:

20240701_113751.jpg

Looks like the collab ban with HoloEN ends Saturday.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
I told you, the endgame shifted from "yeah I can occasionally draw on paint" to "well, I didn't publish many artbooks last year, but one of my 4 ongoing mangas is taking off, plus I have a new exhibition in June...."

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Honestly I can understand thinking that's how you say that word if you only ever read it and hadn't ever heard it. But that's English for you, the mugger of any passing language that's holding something that English likes the look of.

Epitome is up there with hyperbole for "words that don't sound how they appear to read" and serves as a hidden test for how well spoken someone actually is at english.

That said, "Epi Tome" has given me a mental image of a physician mage grimoire filled with various spells to counteract diseases and ailments, particularly allergic reactions. You know, like 'epipen', but it's- nevermind.

Slutpuppies

unity love, resident luxiem fangull
Vox 3D live Saturday I am going to be completely normal about t-

No I'm not I've been waiting and waiting and waiting and FUCKING FINALLY, the vtubers I've followed from the very start are getting their 3Ds. My hako-oshi and in the weeks to come, my kamioshi himself.

:mywifenolan:

Kazuma

Early Adopter

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
Jelly's schedule is up! Tekkit 2 and Baba as well, hell yeah dude :pomuLove:
GRak-N9-Kb0-AAD2a-J.jpg

nuk-temleH

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
An interesting take I've seen about this is that at some point, a VTuber begins to view their own model as competition for their flesh selves. They want the kind of affection and (let's be real here) lust that the fans give, but at some point they think that it's not really "them" that the fans love, but their persona (probably not unjustified).

Then the brainworms start. With time their thought process may start running along these lines:

"Yeah, my fans love me, but only because I'm an anime girl who's curvy/stacked/got legs for days"
"My fanbase is growing, but I'm not sure if they will really stick around for 'me'."
"If they ever find out I'm just some average or homely girl, they won't love me anymore"
"I can't take these thoughts anymore, I might as well post and see how it goes. At least I know that the ones who stay are really here for me. Just once can't hurt."

Of course, each girl will have a different attitude toward this, but you see this happen more with indies, because there's no corpo rules that can make them second-guess fleshposting. And yeah, there are those unscrupulous e-girls who really just do it to farm simps (looking at you, Froot), but I imagine many other chuubas who fleshpost do it for the reasons above.

My take: It's probably inevitable for many of the kinds of girls who become VTubers, but I don't like them doing it on main. Tonya and Yuuna's approach of having a semi-open alt with fair warning is a better (if imperfect) approach, since people who don't care for it can just avoid it:
View attachment 72879
Worth noting that this is different from a Mint and Kiara situation where they had to deal with a large influx of fans who just showed up one day on their RL accounts, not a designated alter ego for when they want to immersion break.

TL;DR: VTubers often want to be loved beyond the model. Understandable, but immersion breaking shouldn't be taken lightly.
I'd bet there's a whole spectrum of weird brainworms that go along with being a chuuba that we've just scratched the surface of, and I don't think it's as simple as "girls who do this tend to become v-tubers." There's too many people from different walks of life getting into the hobby now, multiple countries and cultures, hell male v-tubers are having weird mental issues related to their v-tuber status as well. The parasociality of the medium goes both ways, for one thing. There are girls who started out uncomfortable with stuff like sexualized models or ASMR and now they're gaga for it because they want their viewers to be attracted to them. Remember when Okayu started out and she was a gamer girl tomboy, and now she's a pervert to surpass Metal Gear Houshou Marine? She does that because she wants viewers to want her, because they're "really cute" and it gets her off.

Speaking about someone I personally watched from debut, Millie got WAY more parasocial over the time I watched her, as well. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if that one guy who is still donating hundreds of dollars to her after the Niji fallout is getting secret DMs to show "appreciation." And then you have the actual crazy girls like Shondo and Miori who will cut your balls off given the opportunity because they are more parasocial than their unicorns. Something else that also comes up a lot is the idea of "being grateful" to the fans who financially support them, and depending on the girl that can manifest in different ways. While I'm not as invested in the idol performance end of the v-tuber spectrum, I'd be willing to bet a lot of girls use that as a way to express their gratefulness/parasociality/what-have-you towards their fanbase, for example.

Like you said, its understandable. Hell, I'd even say it can be flattering. The immersion breaking is probably just one way that all these different people who take up v-tubing cope with the weird shit the internet is doing to all of our brains.

niggaphil

I could be late, bit mikeneko might delete her photo, so this is archive purpose.

Screenshot_20240702-005744_X.jpg
Archive

20240702_005645.jpg
Just for you, @Sankisei if you are not managed to see it

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife

The Rrat

Early Adopter

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
lemon whore playing an old mmorpg that looks like something my uncle would have booted on an internet cafe back then

damn thats nostalgic

Top Bottom