"What's a star trek? Star Trek? Isn't that the name of a movie? What's 'A Star Trek?' It's a TV show?! I thought it was a movie! I know it's popular, I know it's famous... is it in the stars? I always get Star Wars and Star Trek mixed up, kind of like the name. Star Wars, Star Trek and 'Stargate', what's Stargate?"Hakos Baelz

Vidya Games Thread

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Damned IRS, raising the standard deduction for single filing by $400. I was going to use that money to buy a Steam Deck. Next year's going to be even worse, since they're raising it by another $900.

On a different note, Spyro Reignited is really fun. There's some bugs related to framerate, but they're easy enough to deal with by turning it down for a minute. Disgaea 1 Complete for Android is also really good. I love the auto-grinding and cheat shop.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
So is the Harry Potter game good? I've been watching people play it but I still can't get a good idea about it. I did really like Harry Potter at one point though so it is pressing that button a bit. What I want is to like min/max and stuff and have like my kind of broken Wizard, I don't know if it's that kind of game.
I've been playing Hogwarts Legacy the past week and on the whole I'd say it's good but not great at the moment. The spellcasting system can be a little slow to start and clunky to aim, but once you unlock the talent system (and additional quick slots for more spells) it really pops off and becomes pretty impressive. Juggling enemies with various spell comboes and taking advantage of enemy weaknesses is pretty fun and satisfying, though if you get too good at it even the Hard difficulty is a bit of a cakewalk.
The worldbuilding and set design they've done is fantastic and probably the best part of the whole thing, which is good because that's where you'll be spending most of your time exploring. Hogwarts Castle is a work of art from most points of view and the surrounding Scottish Highlands are similarly beautiful, although perhaps less populated or busy than I would like. You only get XP to level up from solving the environmental puzzles, collecting things, and so on rather than farming mobs out in the world. The best word I can think of for the writing is that it's inoffensive - not good, not bad, but does a serviceable job of getting you through the world which is where the real thrust of the experience is anyways. There's not really a social or daily schedule to speak of, it's very much an open world action adventure rather than RPG, with characters being fairly one dimensional personality-wise with a straightforward quest or two for you do perform. The notable exception for this is the slytherin companion Sebastian's questline, which is a cut above everything else in the game and a rather good romp through the dark arts of the setting that really turns the tone of the game on its head.
Others like Natty are a little eye-rolling in how obviously mary-sue they are and have a few lines that break canon/common sense if you're familiar with the Harry Potter universe, but it balances out I feel. Voice acting for the male MC was a little stilted, overly polite, and vaguely socipathic at times given the context of their actions - falls far too much on the "distant monotone" side of self-insert protags for my liking.
Performance on PC wasn't great at launch. My PC was averaging 50-60 fps with occasional frame dips to below 30 and lagging. Patches have come out that have mostly fixed it for me but YMMV. On the whole I'd rank it a solid 7/10, maybe an 8/10 if you're really into the concept, or a 6/10 if you're more exposed to this genre of game which admittedly isn't usually in my wheelhouse. A fantastic groundwork for the expansions/DLC which are no doubt in the works however.

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
One of my childhood classics is coming to ps5

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
I have a new 1500$ rig. This means I can finally play the most demanding of games.

Modded Rimworld and Modded Factorio.

UberSoldat

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
All of the Tomb Raider games are massively discounted on Steam. The PSX games are all under $1, and the new games are $3.74, $5.99, and $11.99 respectively.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13831/Tomb_Raider_Collection/

Edit: Also, Atelier Ryza 3 just opened for preorder, and her thighs look thicker than ever.
I been meaning to get into that series. just games are very costly to get in for being years old. think I can get the first Ryza one for 15 bucks to play on ps4 cause paying 30 for same price of 1 and 2 seems dumb.

Been playing some Yakuza: Ishin. A remake of the samurai period game they made for ps3 years ago in jp. been pretty fun so far and feels like a return to what 0 was. Gameplay and graphical wise. I do oddly hope they work on a remake in the same vein for the zombie spinoff they made too. wasn't the greatest game ever, but I feel it could be a lot better now with the experience they gained in recent years with the series.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I been meaning to get into that series. just games are very costly to get in for being years old. think I can get the first Ryza one for 15 bucks to play on ps4 cause paying 30 for same price of 1 and 2 seems dumb.
Put them on your wishlist and wait for them to go on sale. That, or sail the seven seas.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Recommend me any good indie games, i have probably played them but i want to see if there are any hidden gems my extensive searches have missed.
:irysthumbsupl:
Dead or School is 60% off. It's kind of an Anime Fallout Metroidvania, if that makes sense. It even has a Switch port. Oh, and a PS4 port too. I don't think it ever came out on Xbox.
1677530576944.png

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I don't think I've ever felt more vindicated over dropping a game/franchise cold turkey than with this new Destiny 2 expansion release. Holy fuck man, what were they thinking?

Played through Dead Space Remake a while back, while it's a pretty good game, it's not as good as the original for me, due to some gameplay changes, and some really retarded story and VA changes.

Been playing some pirated HogLeg, and my 17-year-old male character looks like a 35-ish programmer with not enough sleep, because the character creator is uh...British I guess, even after mods.

Limbus Company came out, gacha game by Project Moon, devs of Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina, from what I've played so far, it's really good, has a unique and actually consistent art style for a gacha game, and is incredibly f2p friendly.

Steam is having a big Ubisoft sale, and I can wholeheartedly recommend The Division 2+Expansion for $18, pretty good looty shooty, aside from some technical issues, and a lot of content for the cost. Ghost Recon Breakpoint for $12 is also great if you have some friends on hand to play some broke-ass jank kino, because if one person buys it, you can invite your friends to play with you for free for an unlimited time. Scott Pilgrim game with all DLC for $5 is also a fantastic pickup, and you can also play it with your friends for free over something like Parsec.

UberSoldat

I don't think I've ever felt more vindicated over dropping a game/franchise cold turkey than with this new Destiny 2 expansion release. Holy fuck man, what were they thinking?
You know they messed up really bad when even the lore channels don't have nice things to say.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
I have a new 1500$ rig. This means I can finally play the most demanding of games.

Modded Rimworld and Modded Factorio.

For me it's the apocalypse mod in Dawn of War, the first one.

Chiato Macchiato

Macchiato "Definitely a PSYOP" Chiato
I made an account on RPGCodex to search for something, and then I made a post asking about something, and I feel like I made the worst mistake of my life 😥

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Valve casually dropping 3 videos on a new game, Counter Strike 2.

God please let this game replace valorant streams.

UncreativeVtuberEnjoyer

Valve casually dropping 3 videos on a new game, Counter Strike 2.

God please let this game replace valorant streams.

Not a new game but a upgrade of CS:GO to Source 2

Arznbae

wtf is happening

Saturnus

haha it's unou
The sperging when this releases will be mad, CS players are about as accepting of changes as the amish.
I've already seen some people get mad about the smoke changes already.
:whatastory:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I've already seen some people get mad about the smoke changes already.
:whatastory:
What? Revolutionary smoke physics? Fuck you, now I have to learn 792 new perfect smoke lineups to still never get out of Gold Nova, you ruined the game!

Anyways, everything they've shown so far looks fantastic, even though I really don't give a shit about CS anymore, am more interested in where else they'll go with Source 2.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
Good puzzle games aren't the easiest thing to find but I got gifted this game from a friend and it's pretty good.

The downside? It's way overpriced at $18 with only 4 hours of gametime if you're only moderately stupid. Probably tacked on 10 extra dollars for the "unique artstyle"

Hilariously enough you can buy Tangle Tower for almost the same price and that I think that game IS worth the full price(should still get it on sale because it's 3 years old.)

superduper

Gods Strongest Chiramigo
Nolan's Widow
Early Adopter
Rie's Publicist
Anyone see the game Tax Haven 3000? I saw Pippa tweet about it and in the replies came across this:

If this game is these people's way of fighting against tax agencies lobbying to make taxes hard enough to legitimize their business, that's pretty based. The game essentially tries to teach you how to do your taxes from what I gather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom