"I'm looking to be adopted by a different group would anyone like to accept me? Lazulight? Lazulight? I can sing diamond city lights?"Petra Gurin

General Thread v2: Enhanced Segregation Techniques!

frz

It was the novel series that popularized Isekai. A bit odd that it didn't get adapted until now when it is the source for the lot of the tropes that current isekai draw from.
I'm 100% sure it wasn't.
People credit the isekai boom to a lot of stuffs but MT aint it.

One of the ones credited is SAO, even though it technically isnt isekai, 90% of MODERN isekai are SAO clones. Down to black haired male lead blonde hair elf female lead.

You'd wish the isekai genre would be filled with MT clones, but it aint. I can't even name 2 ln that followed MT structure/story telling/magic system/etc.

Kalion

:)

Horo7618

No one in particular
. Down to black haired male lead blonde hair elf female lead.
You think SAO invented that?!?!?
062cbd9af53411cf685bc9790ad94007.png

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Karaoke perms hate! Liz keeps going for songs to find out they "don't have the pass" JUST LET MY DORKY CHUUNI SING WHAT SHE WANTS

Last edited:

Bronze

Panko ring

I'm too ESL to know what Hina's doing

Ensok

Early Adopter

God I love when these two have any sort of interaction. And lol that BGM.

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
emancipated corpse
Ollie is an emancipated corpse. You're thinking of an emaciated one.
It made them more formulaic, sure (along with the rise in syosetu and other webnovel sites), but the ideas were around for a LONG time beforehand. MÄR and Zero no Tsukaima came out like a decade before Mushoku did, and those are way more trite/tropey (and popular, honestly) than Mushoku. Hell, if you want to go further back there's stuff like Vision of Escaflowne which also do the whole "taken to another world" bit, or even Inuyasha if you want to stretch the definitions a bit.
El Hazard, too. Anatolia Story. Magic Knight Rayearth.

(Early isekai was utterly dominated by female protagonists, El Hazard being an almost shocking exception. This even holds true with the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland)

Although "Modern Isekai" probably means a much more significant influence of videogames. Which puts the critical development phase between the start of the .Hack franchise in 2002, and isekai stories adopting levelling systems, which I don't actually know when it started.

Zyklon Mag

Ruze's M&G slots for Anime Impulse Pheonix completely sold out in 5 minutes. First slot was the first to go in 3 minutes.

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter

FoundrArc

I just want to know
[Ina News]
Ina started a 2 week break yesterday, which coincided with the release of the new FF14 expansion, Dawntrail. After playing FF14 for 17 hours straight, during which she hit max level and started the new extreme trials with her raid group, she completely privated her FF14 account. Among other things, this means you cannot look up her characters using the in-game character search, or view her character profiles online using the Lodestone.
(For reference, until Dawntrail's release it was not possible to private your account in this manner)
((Also, it bears repeating, please don't harass your oshi in game))

For archival purposes, here is the last screenshot I could find of her Lodestone page:
Character Name: Temi Temi
Taken at 8:08am PST, 6/28/24. 6 hours after Dawntrail's release.
temi_temi_archive.png
There are a bunch of old Lodestone links that are now broken/about to break, so I suppose I'll work on archiving what I can.

With these new privacy settings in place I'm curious as to who else will utilize them. Other chuubas, Bijou for instance, have had issues with people looking up their old character profiles and using that information to help dox them.

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Ceci playing more Dishonored

Calli doing a karaoke rebroadcast

Mint continuing her MGS playthrough

Nenélove

They expect one of us in the wreckage brother!
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Keep in mind that Sora/A-chan, highschool girls on a mission is quite possibly kayfabe. @The Rrat ranted about it in the past, and made valid points.

But even accounting for that, A-chan was, of course, instrumental. From early tech support over saving Suisei's flatlining career and several other talents that were likewise on the verge of quitting. Even without the probable kayfabe origin story, Yagoo made Hololive, but A-chan (by way of Sora pushing her in that direction) shaped its culture. No A-chan, no Suisei as we know her. Possibly several other graduated members (Roboco, I hear?). A corporate environment much more resembling Nijisanji than the Cover we know.

A-chan, by virtue of her routine appearances on the Hololive channel, represented Hololive more than any other. Shaped Hololive culture from a time when it had two employees, a VR pingpong game and a single VA until it became the behemoth of today.

Filling her shoes isn't just a difficult task. It's plain impossible. Modern Cover is nigh infinitely different from the Cover she joined and helped shape. It's no longer possible to have the impact she had.

By dint of seniority, by virtue of her close relationships with so many talents, by the sheer weight of her track record (again, Suisei would be but a footnote on par with Mano Aloe without A-chan's intervention, without her habit of maintaining close relationships with the talents...), A-chan's word assuredly mattered. Maybe less nowadays than in 2020, again because Cover has grown so much, but even so, not someone you can just brush aside.

And that's not something you can replace with someone new in the same role.

Nodoka's doing well, of course. It is clear that she is forming her own personal relationships with the talents, and is good at it.

But A-chan's sheer weight, her personal relationships within Cover (the benefits of starting at the company when the CEO could still bring pizza for lunch for everyone) are gone.

Cover has changed so much since the Christmas miracle. A-chan, like Yagoo himself, like Gen 0, 1 & 2, is an artefact of a bygone time, when everything was smaller, more personable, more intimate.

Cover is growing up. And while I wasn't really aware of vtubing until 2021, and it'd be rich of me to claim that I miss the early Cover I never experienced, losing this bridge to a mythical past, a living reminder that this past happened, is still sad.

A-chan is a part of Cover's soul.

And as fondly remembered and cherished as I'm sure it is, that part is now gone.
Nice poetic writeup but honestly Holo wasn't so different back in the day (jesus "back in the day?" it was less than 5 years ago LOL) Hololive has mostly just become more complex, but the content is pretty much the same barring things that were prohibited due to external pressures (less risque content due to youtube, less games due to the holocaust and mio almost getting terminated) to me the feeling of "change" is because vtubing just became more mainstream in general, and people got used to it as the novelty wore off. Now with all of the drama floating around all of us have gotten more jaded and cynical and this sense of wonder and amazement is lost.

My point is, Holo didn't really change, we did. People back then bitched about as much as we do now and Holo was in the verge of imploding every other week with talents having less support, less revenue and less cohesion. People tend to embellish the past and ignore all of the bad aspects of it because they either can't remember it clearly and are clouded by nostalgia or like you, didn't even experience it and are reconstructing their impressions from tales of glory. It's very much like looking back at the middle ages and thinking how cool it would be to live in that time without realizing that medicine didn't exist and life was terrible for most except the clergy and nobles.

NuPerezzorcjunmunospolkos

Certified Autist
Keep in mind that Sora/A-chan, highschool girls on a mission is quite possibly kayfabe.
I really wonder where this idea came from since Cover debuting underaged talents was a thing until Gen 3. Did people just dig up someone who sounded similar to Sora and just label them as the roommate?

VSoyBoy

VSaikyo Apex Season 6 team leader invitations are going out today.

People have been creating handy charts as the confirmations come in, but so far I think only 7 are confirmed.

These are the ones I could easily find

Hololive, Holostars, Nijisanji, VSPO represented so far. I wanna go out on a limb and say TSB comeback chances are slim to none realistically.

Svarog

Saviorfag
Early Adopter
Yuno playing The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask with RetroRiona

Capo Miyo's karaoke in 40 minutes

Clip tax
ShubaPeko by MomonKusa

Paladin

Resident Sad Girl Enjoyer

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Ina started a 2 week break yesterday, which coincided with the release of the new FF14 expansion, Dawntrail. After playing FF14 for 17 hours straight, during which she hit max level and started the new extreme trials with her raid group,
shes just fucking built different man

FoundrArc

I just want to know
shes just fucking built different man
What makes this extra impressive(?) was the fact that she had woken up just before her stream at 2pm PST the prior day. After her stream ended she was then on Twitter responding to stuff all the way up until Dawntrail's release. So I'm pretty certain she had already been awake for 12 hours before starting her 17+ hour FF14 binge.

Netscaper

Early Adopter

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Top Bottom