"My parents think my job is acting like a Chinese cartoon"Amaris Yuri

OffKai Expo 2023

Piarro

Early Adopter

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
For all intents and purposes, these past two days have had incredible tech and other issues that shouldn't have taken place. Each time it happens, the response is always "we are trying our best to resolve this issue", or something among those lines, and everything keeps pushing forward.

If it were isolated incidents that would be quickly overshadowed by the rest of the convention, that could be readily forgiven. We've had identity theft in real time to a live audience, flashers sexually harassing talents at meetups, an increasing lack of quality control, and these are only a few examples of things we know about.

The tech issues alone are worth a thread itself, as are the talents that were screwed over along the way. Time, money, and weeks of constant prep with sleepless nights can't be fixed with a "we're sorry". Leagues of sponsors being topped with Idol Corp bankroll should have ensured that not even a fraction of these issues should have happened. Incompetence at this level could very well have legal repercussions, and if not, it is going to be incredibly difficult to get the sheer amount of talent and participants backing them in the following year. If the tech issues persist today? Another round of "we're sorry" will just seem like a broken record.

Unironically, a competing convention could sweep Offkai off their feet, if they invested primarily in their streaming tech, security, and quality of life for both talents and con-goers/viewers. It doesn't even need to be large to start out with - it just needs to be a localized event focused on a handful of content, which excels at and overcomes the weaknesses Offkai presented. Expand gradually year after year, instead of all at once. Running a convention is tough work to begin with, but if that's what you want to do, you're going to have to do it right if you don't want to be another footnote next to the dashcon ball pit. And doing it right will consist of incredibly more pre-convention testing, checks and balances than the current iteration of Offkai seems to have gone through.

In short: where did all the money and preparation go to, if this is the result? And who will make the hours-long videos documenting these events?

Arznbae

wtf is happening

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore

yeah me

dirty grey in chat
I never could've guessed that Commiefornians were incompetent.
silicon valley folks. Tech companies everywhere. Can't figure out how to fucking internet.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

@John Vtuber🐛

Fundamentally, a mix-interaction "convention" like this is basically an esports event. You probably needs as many computers. Just thinking about the technical needs, can I see why it was such a regular disaster. No conference center, no matter how big or expensive, is setup for that type of event. You have to bring your own backend infrastructure.

That's likely the problem. Once all of the tech problems get rolling, it takes away focus on managing the rest of the convention.

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
@John Vtuber🐛

Fundamentally, a mix-interaction "convention" like this is basically an esports event. You probably needs as many computers. Just thinking about the technical needs, can I see why it was such a regular disaster. No conference center, no matter how big or expensive, is setup for that type of event. You have to bring your own backend infrastructure.

That's likely the problem. Once all of the tech problems get rolling, it takes away focus on managing the rest of the convention.
Of course, which is why the primary solution is a substantive increase in tech, and I will continue repeating this as many times as needed since the vast majority of talents themselves need to be "streamed" into the convention

Expensive? Absolutely, but if you want to run a streaming based convention, that's what you have to do.

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Of course, which is why the primary solution is a substantive increase in tech, and I will continue repeating this as many times as needed since the vast majority of talents themselves need to be "streamed" into the convention

Expensive? Absolutely, but if you want to run a streaming based convention, that's what you have to do.
I need to stop thinking about the network design I'd go with for something like this. Haha. Main thing is, for any remote work, I'd want to have the connection routed through some sort of offsite server and then "networked" into the facility. And it's not using Discord to do it.

I'm not up to speed on the B2B high-end broadcast software at the moment, which would be important for that. Yeah, I'm just going to "not" today.

Edit: yup, just spent 20 minutes looking into some broadcast solutions, haha.

Last edited:

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
Quickly googled some of the connectivity solutions and yes they do exist. It's not going to be cheap to contract, but seems essential for the functioning of a hybrid-online event like this.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
llol.png

For future reference, if you happen to fuck up at your job in a way the besmirches someone else's job, that would be the time to start repentance-posting and apologizing. Blowing smoke up your ass at the same time the screw up is happening makes you look and sound like a Royal Retard and also damages whatever goodwill is left from neutral observers.

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
View attachment 31262

For future reference, if you happen to fuck up at your job in a way the besmirches someone else's job, that would be the time to start repentance-posting and apologizing. Blowing smoke up your ass at the same time the screw up is happening makes you look and sound like a Royal Retard and also damages whatever goodwill is left from neutral observers.
No matter how expert level a skill is, at the end of the day it needs to sound good for the people listening. Yes, that means resorting to basic-level techniques such as "Pre-Convention Dress Rehearsals Where Each Song Is Run Multiple Times Through To Program Their Sound Levels And Make Sure It Sounds Good On A Dummy Stream Account". Set your ego at the table, this is a weeb concert for 2D women - if me saying this somehow devalues the work, I promise you that having a good time is worth more than having a perfect time in this industry.

You're using live-mixing techniques for the audience at the con? Good - if it works. You're also streaming it, which uses an entirely different set of audio mixing techniques. If they overlap, you're going to have a bad time. Do the expert techniques make the stream sound worse during rehearsal? Don't use the expert techniques, make sure the basics are solid first and foremost. Once you have a working product with minimal defects, then you can afford to add the "pizzaz". If the foundation's rotting, the whole thing will fall apart - and it did.

Also Lumi is live now and said Airi is still mad about Jelly's treatment at the concert, and that she doesn't know which words are bad to say ("Castrate" versus "Funny Block Game Inference"), please save this hag from her black company I am begging you fishman, I don't want her to die of a stroke

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Last edited:

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
The Phase Gen 2 panel is on now.

Airi currently going crazy, probably sleep deprivation and stress

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Also Lumi is live now and said Airi is still mad about Jelly's treatment at the concert, and that she doesn't know which words are bad to say ("Castrate" versus "Funny Block Game Inference"), please save this hag from her black company I am begging you fishman, I don't want her to die of a stroke
My oshi is so empathetic
:holohag:
:hololove:

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
Last edited:

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
So, did anyone catch the Invaders "second life" panel? Offkai doesn't want to preserve any streams, even discussion panels, and I didn't seen anyone mention it on this thread. If I can't watch the stream, I wouldn't mind reading a quick tl;dr for it.

Just pretending

The Great Bald Rrat
Early Adopter
Half of the technical staff for the event are obvious disability hires, if that's even a thing in California.

cucurut

So, did anyone catch the Invaders "second life" panel? Offkai doesn't want to preserve any streams, even discussion panels, and I didn't seen anyone mention it on this thread. If I can't watch the stream, I wouldn't mind reading a quick tl;dr for it.
Anon posted rentry with torrents.
Looking at image previews I don't think it was streamed. But someone wrote highlights, obviously to be taken with a grain of salt:
Warosu link
1687115057442.png
1687115150394.png
1687115203012.png

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
Regarding Lia possibly hinting at something during the Alias panel: I missed the first few minutes, but I didn't really catch anything noteworthy. No big announcements or anything. Was a fun panel, though. Pretty much what you'd expect from Gen 2 all getting together.

Edit: I guess one little fact they revealed was that out of all of Phase, including Sakana and the managers, Iori is the only one labeled as an extrovert by that dumb personality test thing. A lot of people, myself included, were guessing Nasa, but nope. It's Iori.

Top Bottom